James Mitchell Cornett
Private First Class James Mitchell Cornett was born on May 10, 1943, and was originally from Elizabethton, Tennessee. He served his country in the viet War in the United States Army, as an infantryman in A Company, 1st Battalion, 26th Infantry, 1st Infantry Division. His tour began on September 25, 1965. Nearly six months later, on March 24, 1966, PFC Cornett was killed under hostile conditions in Binh Duong province, South Vietnam; he was 22 years old at the time of his death. PFC Cornett is memorialized on the Vietnam Veterans Memorial on Panel 6E, Line 46.
He is buried in Happy Valley Memorial Park, Elizabethton, TN.
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of birth: 10 May 1943
- Date of death: 24 March 1966
- County: Carter
- Hometown: Elizabethton
- Service Branch: Army
- Division/Assignment: 26th Infantry Regiment, 1st Infantry Division
- Conflict: Vietnam
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Happy Valley Memorial Park, Elizabethton, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XXII, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor James M. Cornett
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.