SFC James Lester Parker, World War II Veteran, Korean War Veteran, Vietnam Veteran, residing in Durham, NC.
Sergeant First Class James Lester Parker was a casualty of the Vietnam War. As a member of the Army, SFC Parker served our country until April 3rd, 1967 in Tay Ninh, South Vietnam. He was 44 years old and was married. It was reported that James died from small arms fire wounds at Brooke Army Medical Center(BAMC), Ft Sam Houston Hospital, San Antonio, Texas. His body was recovered. James was born on May 22nd, 1922 in Georgia. SFC Parker is on panel 17E, line 096 of the Vietnam Memorial Wall in Washington D.C. He served our country for 22 years.
Funeral services for Sgt James Lester Parker of Stanley Road, who died Monday at Brook Army Hospital in San Antonio, Texas, will be Sunday at 2pm at Mt Zion Baptist Church, with the Reverend William H. Fuller officiating. Burial will be in Glenview Memorial Park with full military honors. Survivors include his wife, Mrs Lillie Parker; two sons, David Parker of Camp Monmouth, NJ, and Gilbert Parker of Durham; one daughter, Mrs Gail Royster of Durham. his parents, Mr and Mrs Lester Parker of Alcoa, Tennessee; two sisters, Mrs Mary Hall and Mrs Lida Mae Parker of Cincinnatti, Ohio; two brothers, Jack and David Parker of Cincinnatti.
He was the husband of Mrs Lillie Mae Williams Parker, Route #8, Box 430, Durham, NC. He was the son of Mr James and Mrs Viola Mills Parker of Georgia
Foto Submitted by Mr. Tom Reece
- Rank: Sergeant First Class
- Date of birth: 22 May 1922
- Date of death: 3 April 1967
- County: Blount
- Service Branch: Army
- Division/Assignment: 16th Infantry Regiment, 1st Infantry Division
- Conflict: Vietnam
- Awards: The Combat Infantryman's Badge(CIB) Third Device, The Bronze Star Medal for Meritorious Service, The Purple Heart Medal for his combat related wounds, The Army Achievement Medal and The Army Commendation Medal, The Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, The World War II Victory Medal, The Army of Occupation Medal(s), The Korean Service Medal, The Korean Defense Medal, The United Nations Service Medal, The Vietnam Service Medal, The Vietnam Cross of Gallantry, The National Defense Service Medal(s), The Army Good Conduct Medal(s)
- Burial/Memorial Location: Glennview Memorial Park, Durham, Durham County, North Carolina
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XXII, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor James L. Parker
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.