James Herbert Layne was born in Dunlap, Tennessee, son of Harrison Lee “Dud” Layne and Sarah Davis. He enlisted at Fort Oglethorpe in Georgia on 20 April 1917 at served with the Medical Department Base Hospital Camp Johnston in Florida where he died at the age of 19 of broncho pneumonia on 12 October 1918.
His father was a former sheriff of Sequatchie County and died of influenza on 22 October 1918 at a mining camp in Pennsylvania where he was a mining foreman.
- Rank: Private
- Date of birth: 29 November 1898
- Date of death: 12 October 1918
- County: Campbell
- Hometown: Whitwell
- Service Branch: Army
- Division/Assignment: Medical Department Base Hospital Camp Johnston Florida
- Conflict: World War I
- Burial/Memorial Location: Cookston Cemetery, Cartwright, Sequatchie County, Tennessee
- Location In Memorial: Pillar II, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor James H. Layne
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.