Sergeant James H. Clonts was assigned to the 813th Tank Destroyer Battalion. In January 1945 the battalion equipped with M36 Tank destroyers was engaged against German forces in the last offensive of the war Operation Nordwind. The Allied forces were already very battered and reinforcements had to be rushed to their support.
Sergeant Clonts was killed in action on 25 January 1945 and is interred at the Epinal American Cemetery, Epinal, France.
- Rank: Sergeant
- Date of death: 25 January 1945
- County: Polk
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 813th Tank Destroyer Battalion
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Bronze Star, Purple Heart, and Soldiers Medal
- Burial/Memorial Location: Epinal American Cemetery, Epinal (Vosges), France
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XVI, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor James H. Clonts
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.