Private James Carl Gardner was born on March 23, 1894 in Chilhowee, Tennessee. He lived with his uncle, James T. Gardner, grandmother, Sarah Gardner, and brother, Clyde Gardner. He grew up working on the family farm and, prior to joining the military, he worked as a laborer for Knoxville Power Company in Alcoa. He was slightly wounded on 4 November and died of pneumonia at age 23 on 18 November 1918. Buried plot A, row 24, grave 11, at Oise-Aisne American Cemetery, Fere-en-Tardenois, France.
- Rank: Private
- Date of birth: 23 March 1894
- Date of death: 18 November 1918
- County: Blount
- Hometown: Chilhowee
- Service Branch: Army
- Division/Assignment: Company E, 23rd Infantry
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War I
- Battles: Operations West of Meuse
- Burial/Memorial Location: Oise-Aisne American Cemetery, Fere-en-Tardenois, France
- Location In Memorial: Pillar II, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor James Gardner
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.