Attended the Virginia Military Institute for one year in the class of 1944 until joining the U.S. Army Air Corps. Buried at the Sicily-Rome American Cemetery in Nettuno, Italy.
He was the husband of Frances R. Allen, 9 Maplehurst Park, Knoxville, TN
The aircraft crashed at takeoff when it hit high power lines and crashed to the ground burning immediately. This occurred 15 August at about 0253 approximately one half mile south of the airdrome at Grottaglie, Italy. All crew members were killed .
S/Sgt Lawrence E. Zieman
S/Sgt Ernest J. Yaksh
S/Sgt John J. Ronsheim
1st Lt James G. Allen Jr.
2nd Lt Leo a. Betzen
2nd Lt Harold F. Schuitt
2nd Lt Robert K. Peck
2nd Lt Charles L. Carlson
T/Sgt Alex A. Montgomery
S/Sgt George H. Doelfel
T/Sgt Jack A. Lang Jr.
- Rank: First Lieutenant
- Date of death: 15 August 1944
- County: Knox
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 718th Bomber Squadron, 449th Bomber Group, Heavy
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Distinguished Flying Cross, Air Medal with 3 Oak Leaf Clusters, Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Sicily-Rome American Cemetery, Nettuno, Italy
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XIV, Top Panel
- Sponsored by: Bob McCallie
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.