The Kingsport Times, 12 December 1941
James E. Strickland, 21, a sergeant in the ordnance department of the army air corps, was among the first casualties of the attack on Honolulu, according to official word received here yesterday by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. James E. Strickland, Sr., Erwin, Tenn.
Strickland was attached to the 23rd Material Squadron at Hickam Field, and had been in the service since November, 1939, when a group of 26 Erwin students enlisted with the armed force.
Strickland was a graduate of the Erwin high school, where he had been active in many sports, including baseball, football and basketball
Besides his parents, Sgt. Strickland is survived by one brother, Ernst, a student at Teachers’ College, Johnson City.
- Rank: Sergeant
- Date of birth: 3 March 1920
- Date of death: 7 December 1941
- County: Unicoi
- Hometown: Erwin
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 23rd Material Squadron, 17th Air Base Group
- Theater: Pacific
- Conflict: World War II
- Battles: Pearl Harbor
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Honolulu Memorial, Honolulu, Hawaii
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XIX, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor James E. Strickland Jr.
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.