James Edward Stephenson was born 24 May 1927 to James William Stephenson and Cammie Adeline Skelton.
First Lieutenant Stephenson was a member of the 77th Field Artillery Battalion, 1st Cavalry Division. He was Killed in Action while fighting the enemy in South Korea.
Buried at Spring Creek Cemetery, Athens, TN
The Daily Post-Athenian, October 18, 1951
First Lieutenant James E. Stephenson, son of Mr. and Mrs. J.W. Stephenson of Athens, Route 4, who was killed in action in Korea February 4, 1951. His body arrived in Athens yesterday, accompanied by a military escort and was taken to the home of the parents three miles north of Athens. Funeral service were held at Spring Creek Church of Christ and burial was in the church cemetery. Lt. Stephenson served in World War II and again volunteered for service with the U.S. Army in June, 1949. He was a graduate of McMinn County High School and attended Tennessee Wesleyan College in Athens.
- Rank: First Lieutenant
- Date of birth: 24 May 1927
- Date of death: 4 February 1951
- County: McMinn
- Hometown: Athens
- Service Branch: Army
- Division/Assignment: 77th Field Artillery Battalion, 1st Cavalry Division
- Conflict: World War II / Korean War
- Awards: Purple Heart, Combat Infantrymans Badge, Prisoner of War Medal, Korean Service Medal, United Nations Service Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Korean Presidential Unit Citation, and Republic of Korea War Service Medal
- Burial/Memorial Location: Spring Creek Cemetery, Athens, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XXI, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor James E. Stephenson
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.