James Edward Medley
Mother: Mrs. Ella Marie Warwick, 306 8th Avenue, Fountain City, Knoxville
Seaman Medley was a member of the Naval Armed Guard shipped aboard the freighter Jack. On 31 May 1942 while in transit through the Caribbean, the Jack was torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U 155 about 100 miles southewst of Haiti. Three of the nine-man armed guard were lost. The others were rescued by the U.S. submarine Grunion.
Memorialized at the East Coast Memorial, New York, NY
- Rank: Seaman Second Class
- Date of death: 31 May 1942
- County: Knox
- Hometown: Knoxville
- Service Branch: Navy
- Division/Assignment: USAT Jack
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: East Coast Memorial, New York, NY
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XIV, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor James E. Medley
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.