Born 27 October 1921
Died 25 January 1944
Private First Class
143rd Infantry Regiment, 36th Infantry Division, Company A
PFC Coggins served with the 36th ‘Texas’ Infantry Division, 143rd Infantry Regiment. He was wounded in action on January 25, 1944 and killed in action on January 26, 1944 at the Rapido River Battle in Italy.
He is buried in Happy Valley Memorial Park in Elizabethton. He was originally buried in Highland Cemetery, but when his father died in 1958, he was re-interred and buried next to his father. (A new government plaque was ordered, because his original one is still in Highland, but he is in Happy Valley).
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of birth: 27 October 1921
- Date of death: 25 January 1944
- County: Carter
- Hometown: Elizabethton
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 143rd Infantry Regiment, 36th Infantry Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Happy Valley Memorial Park, Elizabethton, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar VIII, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor James C. Coggins Jr.
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.