James Basil Smith was born 23 May 1916 to Charles C. Smith and Laura Ellen Lawson.
Killed in Action 1 May 1945
Buried at McKinney Cemetery, Rogersville, TN
Private First Class
71st Infantry Regiment, 44th Infantry Division, Company L
Rogersville Review, May 27, 1943
Pvt. James B. Smith is now stationed at Pope Field, N.C. He is a recent graduate of the famous guard school at Miami Beach, Fla Before going into the service he was employed by the Blue Ridge Glass Co. Of Kingsport. His wife, Mrs. Cecile Smith, rescently visited her husband in North Carolina
Rogersville Review, June 7, 1945
Last week, Mrs. Cecile Forgety Smith, Rogersville, Rt. 3, received a telegram saying her husband, Pfc. J. Basil Smith, had been killed on May 1, 1945 in Austria. Pfc. Smith had served in the states for two years before going overeseas. During his fourth month of overseas duty he served in England, France, Germany and later was sent to Austria.
Before entering service, Pfc. Smith was employed by the Blue Ridge Glass Co. Of Kingsport. His mother, Mrs. C.C. Smith lives on Rogersville, route three.
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of birth: 23 May 1916
- Date of death: 1 May 1945
- County: Hawkins
- Hometown: Rogersville
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 71st Infantry Regiment, 44th Infantry Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: McKinney Cemetery, Rogersville, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XII, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor James B. Smith
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.