Jack Monroe Turner was born in 1921 in Tennnessee to James Monroe Turner and Nellie Bly Garber.
Served on the U.S.S. San Francisco
Memorialized at Manila American Cemetery, Philippines
Father: Mr. James Monroe Turner, 323 Catawaba Street, Erwin, TN
The Erwin Record, December 3, 1942
Mr. and Mrs. James Turner received a message Tuesday that their son, Jack Monroe Turner was killed in action in the Pacific war zone. Jack was aboard the USS flag ship, San Francisco, and in the same battle his admiral and captain were also killed, while the ship held back the Japanese until the rest of the fleet arrived. Jack was a coxswain and had been in the Navy 29 months and 3 days when they received the message of his death.
- Rank: Coxswain
- Date of death: 13 November 1942
- County: Unicoi
- Hometown: Erwin
- Service Branch: Navy
- Division/Assignment: USS San Francisco
- Theater: Pacific
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Manila American Cemetery, Manila, Philippines
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XIX, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Jack M. Turner
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.