Jack L. Phelps was returned from Follonica, Italy. Buried together with Cpl. Francis R. Ellis, Sgt. Daniel R. Smith and 2nd Lt. Allen E. Wingrove at Zachary Taylor National Cemetery in Louisville, Kentucky.
Aircraft B-26C with serialnumber 42-64599 departed from Gaudo Airdrome on a bombing mission to Viterbo Airdrome in Italy. The aircraft was hit by flak
Pilot, 2nd Lt. Fenton M. Dalley
Co-Pilot, 2nd Lt. James E. Kelley
Bombardier, 2nd Lt. Allen E. Wingrove
Engineer / Gunner, Cpl. Francis R. Ellis
Radio Operator / Gunner, S/Sgt. Jack L. Phelps
Turret Gunner, Sgt. Daniel R. Smith.
- Rank: Staff Sergeant
- Date of birth: 5 June 1923
- Date of death: 14 April 1944
- County: Blount
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 447th Bombardment Squadron, 321nd Bomber group
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Burial/Memorial Location: Zachary Taylor National Cemetery, Louisville, Kentucky
- Location In Memorial: Pillar VI, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Jack L. Phelps
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.