My uncle, was a member of Company G, 2nd Battalion, 7th Cavalry Regiment Inf, 1st Cavalry Division. He was killed on September 14, 1950 while in the Taegu Area. The location of his death is taken from the Korean War Project Remembrance site.
He was born in Sullivan Co. TN on May 21, 1928.
The photo that you have of him is the one that I left at the foot of his panel on the day that the Memorial was dedicated on November 15, 2008. (This was the first memorial object left at the memorial after the dedication.)
-Submitted by Karen Peterman, niece
- Rank: Private 1st Class
- Date of birth: 21 May 1928
- Date of death: 14 September 1950
- County: Sullivan
- Service Branch: Army
- Division/Assignment: 7th Cavalry Regiment, 1st Cavalry Division
- Conflict: Korean War
- Awards: Purple Heart, Combat Infantrymans Badge, Korean Service Medal, United Nations Service Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Korean Presidential Unit Citation, and Republic of Korea War Service Medal
- Burial/Memorial Location: Buffalo Christian Church Cemetery, Blountville, Sullivan County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XXI, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor J.D. Thompson