J.D. Smelcer was born 6 January 1919 to Homer Eugene Smelcer and Rhoda Ottinger.
Died 12 July 1944 in France
Buried at Salem Lutheran Church, Parrottsville, TN
The Plain Talk and Tribune, July 22, 1948
Funeral services for Pfc. J.D. Smelcer, killed in action in France, July 12, 1944, were held Wednesday afternoon at the home. Smelcer, son of Mr. and Mrs. Homer R. Smelcer of Newport, was 25 at the time he was killed. Pfc. Smelcer entered service January 20, 1942, serving eight months in the States and twenty-two months overseas.
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of birth: 6 January 1919
- Date of death: 12 July 1944
- County: Cocke
- Hometown: Parrottsville
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 12th Infantry Regiment, 4th Infantry Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Salem Lutheran Church, Parrottsville, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar VIII, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor J.D. Smelcer
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.