James D. (J.D.) Jones was born 14 October 1919 to Madison Alexander Jones and Minnie Couch who married 30 December 1900. He had brothers Jim “Button”, Hoyt, and sisters, Etholeen and Edith .
James registered on the 16th of October 1940 when he lived in Old Fort, Polk County, Tennessee and enlisted at Fort Ogethorpe, Georgia the 8th of June 1942. He served in the Army Co. C, 323 Inf., 81 Inf, Div. during World War II. He was not married.
The burial register states that he died and was initially buried 8 Oct. 1948 in Manila, Philippines (USAF Cemetery #2) His service number is #34285756 and he was a PFC in Co.C, 323 Infantry, 81st Division.
One of the biggest battles of the war was the Battle of Layte in the southern part of Manila on that same day he died, but it is not known whether he died in that particular battle or not.
Photo courtesy of Marian Presswood
Buried at Chattanooga National Cemetery, Y, 405. PFC Jones was initially buried at the USAF Cemetery Manila No. 2 P.I.
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of birth: 14 October 1919
- Date of death: 26 October 1944
- County: Polk
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: Company C, 323rd Infantry Regiment, 81st Infantry Division
- Theater: Pacific
- Conflict: World War II
- Burial/Memorial Location: Chattanooga National Cemetery, Chattanooga, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XVI, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor J.D. Jones
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.