The Johnson County News, July 14, 1949
Sgt J.C. Gentry was born Sept. 3, 1923 and entered the armed services Dec. 2, 1942. He spent most of his training at Camp Howze, Texas and left there for the European theatre. He was killed Nov. 30, 1944, in France, and was awarded the Purple Heart. The remains of the late Sgt. Gentry, accompanied by escort, arrived in Bristol the morning of Wednesday, July 13. Surviving are his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Ben F. Gentry of Shady Valley, and the following brothers: Lewis, Bumpass, Va.; Miles, Thornburg, Va.; Fred, Bristol; S.T., Shady Valley and a host of other relatives and friends.
Interment was in the Snyder cemetery at Trade.
- Rank: Sergeant
- Date of birth: 3 September 1923
- Date of death: 30 November 1944
- County: Johnson
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Snyder Cemetery, Johnson County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar VIII, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor J.C. Gentry
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.