Hugh Sylvester Gosnell was born on March 28, 1912, in Sevier County, TN to Roderick Sylvester Gosnell and Elizabeth “Eliza” Baker. He was married to Stella Williams in April, 1933. Siblings: James Pink Gosnell, Henry Henderson Gosnell, Melinda Mevina Gosnell, John Arthur Gosnell, Sherman Gosnell, Jessie Ellen Gosnell, and Josie May Cunningham Gosnell.
PFc Gosnell enlisted on April 18, 1941 and had been overseas since October, 1942. He was killed in action on June 6, 1944 in France. He is buried at the Normandy American Cemetery in Colleville-sur-Mer, France
Historical Note: The 70th Tank Battalion landed at Utah Beach on the 6th of June 1944. It was in support of the 8th Infantry Regiment of the 4th Infantry Division.
(Monsieur Jacques Gressin takes care of Private First Class Hugh S. Gosnell’s grave at the Normandy American Cemetery in France. firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have remembrances or photos you can share, please contact him at the above email address. Photos below were provided by Monsieur Gressin).
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of birth: 28 March 1912
- Date of death: 6 June 1944
- County: Knox
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 70th Tank Battalion
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Battles: Normandy
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Normandy American Cemetery, Colleville-sur-Mer, France
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XIV, Middle Panel
- Sponsored by: Jacques Gressin
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.