Private Howard M. Castleberry was born on September 4, 1925. He was the son of Pearl D. and Lois Castleberry. He was the brother of Guss Castleberry, Hershal Castleberry, Roy Castleberry, Carl Castleberry, Claud Castleberry, Gladys Castleberry, Arlo Castleberry, Ruby Castleberry, Jewel Castleberry, Eugene Castleberry, Dick Castleberry, and Betty M. Castleberry. In 1930, he lived with his family in Campbell County.
Private Castleberry enlisted in the military on December 31, 1943 in Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia. He was killed in action on December 17, 1944 in Belgium. He is buried in Solway Methodist Church Cemetery, Byington, Knox County, TN.
424th Infantry Regiment, 106th Infantry Division, Company C
- Rank: Private
- Date of birth: 4 September 1925
- Date of death: 17 December 1944
- County: Knox
- Hometown: Byington
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 424th Infantry Regiment, 106th Infantry Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Battles: Battle of the Bulge
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Solway Methodist Church Cemetery, Byington, Knox County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XIV, Top Panel
- Sponsored by: Wayne Castleberry
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.