Howard Kincade Moss was born in Cherokee County, Georgia to William M. Moss and Alice Chambers. He lived most of his life in Alcoa with his grandmother, Annie Chambers; uncle, Frank Chambers and siblings, Mack Moss, Frank Moss, Wylean Moss. Prior to enlisting in the military, Private Moss married Katrhyn G. Moss.
He enlisted in the military on October 14, 1942 in Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia. He served in the Pacific Theater with the 5307th Composite Unit (Provisional) (Merrill’s Marauders). He is memorialized at Manila American Cemetery in Fort Bonifacio, Manila, Philippines.
Died in C-47 plane crash in Burma. Remains were never found.
Submitted by Willie Mae Moss
Crewmembers of Airplane #41-38709
Pilot, 2nd Lt. Earnest R. Wilson
Co-Pilot, F/O Andrew Malligo
Radio-Operator, Sgt. Allen W. Beeler
Drop Crew Member, S/Sgt. Vilas D. Parker
Drop Crew Member, Pfc. Howard K. Moss
Drop Crew Member, Pfc. Benjamin J. Jones
Drop Crew Member, Pfc. Walter B. Owensby
- Rank: Private 1st Class
- Date of birth: 3 April 1922
- Date of death: 22 May 1944
- County: Blount
- Hometown: Maryville
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 5307th Composite Unit
- Theater: Burma China India
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Manila American Cemetery, Fort Bonifacio, Manila, Philippines
- Location In Memorial: Pillar VI, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Howard K. Moss
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.