Technician 4th Class Homer Alfred Goodykoontz of Lake City was born around 1923. Technician 4th Class Goodykoontz was the youngest child of Edgar and Lundy Goodykoontz. He was the brother of Prentice L. Goodykoontz, Burnet W. Goodykoontz, Emma T. Goodykoontz, and Chalma R. Goodykoontz. Prior to joining the military, he worked as a farmer. He enlisted on October 25, 1942 in Camp Forrest, Tennessee. He served in the European theater of the war in the 736th Tank Battalion. He was killed in action on Wednesday, January 31, 1945. He is buried in the Netherlands American Cemetery in Margraten (Plot L, Row 7, Grave 4).
Historical Note: The 736th Tank Battalion Special was attached to the 78th Division on 25th of January 1945. On the 30th of January the Division began its attack against the Siegfried Line and took the German town of Kesternich.
- Rank: Technician 4th Class
- Date of birth: 13 July 1922
- Date of death: 31 January 1945
- County: Anderson
- Hometown: Lake City
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 736th Tank Battalion
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Netherlands American Cemetery, Margraten, Netherlands
- Location In Memorial: Pillar VI, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Homer A. Goodykoontz
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.