Corporal Herndon C. Bowman was assigned to the 26th Field Artillery Battalion 105mm, 9th Infantry division. He was killed in action on 16 July 1944 during the Normandy battle. He is interred at J,1,15 Normandy American Cemetery, Colleville-sur-Mer, France.
My nephew took it (picture of grave) some time ago, and sent it to me recently because my Dad (his GF) was with the 26th FA, 9th ID. I looked up some records I had — Cpl. Bowman was serving with the Headquarters Battery, 26 FA on that day near Le Désert, Normandy when he was killed by a German mortar round, Several others in his Battery were injured, one seriously, but he was the only fatality. At least two of the guys injured (with him?) that day were also injured later in the war, but as far as I can tell all survived.
—Submitted by Thomas Quinn
- Rank: Corporal
- Date of birth: 11 August 1916
- Date of death: 16 July 1944
- County: Campbell
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 26th Field Artillery Battalion, 9th Infantry Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Battles: Normandy Campaign
- Awards: Bronze Star, Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Normandy American Cemetery, Colleville-sur-Mer, France
- Location In Memorial: Pillar VII, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Herndon C. Bowman
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.