Staff Sergeant Hartsell Luther Bailes was born on November 27, 1921. He was the son of James Ruble Bailes and Martha Elizabeth White Bailes. He was the brother of James Ralph Bailes (who died in infancy), Minnie Evelyn Bailes, Walter Ralph Bailes, William Howard Bailes, Mary Ellen Bailes (who died in infancy), Lynn Bailes (who died in infancy), Lillian Geraldine Bailes Cross, Henry Kenneth Bailes, Carle Ruble Bailes, Eleanor Bailes, Frank White Bailes, and Robert Bailes.
Staff Sergeant Bailes lived at 622 Maynard Street, Knoxville with his family. Prior to joining the military, he was a college student. He enlisted in the military on August 10, 1942 in Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia. He served in the Pacific theater of the war in the 149th Infantry, 38th Infantry Division. He was killed in action on May 30, 1945 on Luzon Island, Philippines. He is buried in Lynnhurst Cemetery in Knoxville.
- Rank: Staff Sergeant
- Date of birth: 27 November 1921
- Date of death: 30 May 1945
- County: Knox
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 149th Infantry Regiment, 38th Infantry Division
- Theater: Pacific
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Lynnhurst Cemetery, Knoxville, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar VIII, Top Panel
- Sponsored by: John R. Rosson, Jr.
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.