Born in Wisconsin
Attended Knoxville High School
Enlisted in the Army Air Corps on August 12, 1942, in Camp Forrest, TN
Served in the European Theater in England with the 331st, B Squadron, 94th Group, Crew 83. Shot down over Brunswick, Germany February 10, 1944 and was killed.
Buried in the Heska Amuna Cemetery (New Jewish Cemetery) on Glenn Street at Keith Avenue.
331st Bomber Squadron, 94th Bomber Group, Heavy
Aircraft B-17 with serial number 42-31080 was on a bombing mission to Brunswick, Germany. Their target was an airfield outside of Brunswick. They had a running fight with German aircraft, to the target, dropped their bombs and soon after the no. 4 engine was shot out of the wing and no. 3 engine was burning. The plane was hit and went into a dive and exploded in the air. 2 crew members were able to bail out, 2 others were blown out of the plane by the explosion and the other 5 were trapped in the plane and were either killed in the explosion or went down with the ship.
2nd Lt Tucker was initially buried at the cemetery at Lauingen near Kosnigslutter on February 11, 1944.
Pilot, 2nd Lt Paul A. MacWilliam
Co-Pilot, 2nd Lt Harris A. Tucker
Navigator, Lt William E. Shipiro
Bombardier, 2nd Lt Thomas C. Mooney
Radio Operator, S/Sgt Erwin E. Lamont
Waist Gunner, S/Sgt Carl W. Mead
Top Turret Gunner, Sgt Robert T. Scott
Ball Turret Gunner, S/Sgt Marion L. Saar
S/Sgt Leonard A. La Marco
Awarded the Purple Heart, Distinguished Flying Cross, Air Medal with Oak Leaf Cluster.
- Rank: Second Lieutenant
- Date of birth: 24 May 1924
- Date of death: 10 February 1944
- County: Knox
- Hometown: Knoxville
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 331st Bomber Squadron, 94th Bomber Group, Heavy
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart, Distinguished Flying Cross, Air Medal with Oak Leaf Cluster
- Burial/Memorial Location: New Jewish Cemetery, Knoxville, Knox County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar VIII, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Harris A. Tucker
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.