Private Harris Amster Gould was the son of August H. Gould and Ida Steinberg.
US Army #34737064, he was assigned to the 554th Engineer Heavy Pontoon Battalion. The 554th in late March 1945 was involved in the bridging of the Rhine River near Oppenheim. This operation was carried out under enemy attacks. But in the end the 3rd Army was able to begin crossing the Rhine.
Private Gould was killed in action on the 24th of March 1945. He is interred at the Netherlands American Cemetery F,12,8, Margarten, Netherlands.
Awards include the Purple Heart.
- Rank: Private
- Date of birth: 24 January 1925
- Date of death: 24 March 1945
- County: Hamilton
- Hometown: Chattanooga
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 554th Engineer Heavy Pontoon Battalion
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Netherlands American Cemetery, Margraten, Netherlands
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XI, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Harris A. Gould
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.