Grover Cleveland Propes was born in Lenoir City, Loudon County, TN to Sam Propes and Elizabeth Adams Propes. He was a farmer before he entered the service June 23, 1917. He trained at Camp Sevier in Greenville, South Carolina; Etowah, Tennessee and Camp Milla in New York. He sailed to Europe May 11, 1918 arriving on May 23. He served in Company L, 117th Infantry, 30th Division and was killed in action on October 6, 1918 at Porcheaux, France.
He is buried at Martel United Methodist Church Cemetery, Lenoir City, Tennessee.
- Rank: Private
- Date of birth: 19 January 1895
- Date of death: 6 October 1918
- County: Loudon
- Hometown: Lenoir City
- Service Branch: Army
- Division/Assignment: Company L, 117th Infantry Regiment, 30th Infantry Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War I
- Battles: Bellicourt, Poncho, Somme Offensive, Ypres-Lys Defensive Sector
- Burial/Memorial Location: Martel United Methodist Church Cemetery, Lenoir City, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar IV, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Grover C. Propes
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.