Grant Vandeventer was born March 12, 1900 in Knoxville, Knox County. He entered military service on August 27, 1917. As a member of Company I, 117th Infantry, 30th Division, he received his training at Camp Sevier, South Carolina and sailed for overseas duty on May 11, 1918. He took part in all battles of his unit until October, when he was removed from the lines after having been gassed. As a result of contracting the Spanish influenza, followed by pneumonia, Private Vandeventer died on December 10, 1918 at the age of 18 in England. He is buried in Brookwood American Cemetery, Brookwood, England.
- Rank: Private
- Date of birth: 12 March 1900
- Date of death: 10 December 1918
- County: Knox
- Hometown: Knoxville
- Service Branch: Army
- Division/Assignment: Company I, 117th Infantry Regiment, 30th Infantry Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War I
- Burial/Memorial Location: Brookwood American Cemetery, Brookwood, England
- Location In Memorial: Pillar IV, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Grant VanDeventer
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.