Grady Lester Davis, Seaman Second Class of the U.S. Naval Reserve, was killed in action on October 15, 1942, while serving on the destroyer USS Meredith. The Meredith was escorting the minesweeper USS Vireo from Espiritu Santo to Guadalcanal. The Meredith was strafed repeatedly by Japanese planes and the Meredith sank off Guadalcanal with all 434 aboard. Seaman Second Class Davis was awarded the American Campaign Medal and the Asiatic Pacific Campaign Medal with other medals including the Purple Heart.
- Rank: Seaman 2nd Class
- Date of death: 15 October 1942
- County: Sequatchie
- Hometown: Whitwell
- Service Branch: Navy
- Division/Assignment: USS Meredith (DD434)
- Theater: Pacific
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart, American Campaign Medal, Asiatic Pacific Campaign Medal
- Burial/Memorial Location: Manila American Cemetery, Fort Bonifacio, Manila, Philippines
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XVII, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Grady L. Davis
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.