Gilbert Hiram Coppinger Jr.
Born 3 October 1921
He died from non-hostile wounds/injuries 14 January 1944
Buried at Lasater Cemetery, Sequatchie, TN
30th Signal and Construction Battalion, Company A
The Jasper Journal, Feb. 10, 1944
Gilbert Hiram Coppinger, Jr., who was with the armed forces in Italy, was accidentally killed on January 4, 1944. He was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Gilbert Coppinger of Oak Ridge, formerly of Sequatchie.
The Jasper Journal, July 7, 1949
Gilbert Hiram Coppinger, age 22, was born in Sequatchie, Tenn., October 3, 1921. Inducted into the U.S. Army September 12, 1942, in the Signal Construction Battalion, C.A. 30 Gilbert served in North Africa, Sicily and Italy. Injured January 6, 1944 in Naples, Italy. Died January 14, 1944.
He is survived by his mother, Irene Coppinger, father G.H. Coppinger Sr. of Sequatchie; one brother, Lewis Coppinger, Sequatchie; grandmother, Mrs. Alice Coppinger and Mrs. Ellizabeth Lewis of Sequatchie.
Funeral service were conducted July 3 with full military honors at the graveside.
- Rank: Private
- Date of birth: 3 October 1921
- Date of death: 14 January 1944
- County: Marion
- Hometown: Sequatchie
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 30th Signal and Construction Battalion
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Burial/Memorial Location: Lasater Cemetery, Sequatchie, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XV, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Gilbert H. Coppinger Jr.
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.