Lance Corporal Gerald Erwin Cunningham was born May 19, 1944. He served as a truck driver for Truck Company, Forces Logistic Support Group in Danang, Vietnam. While responding to a broken down vehicle on February 5, 1966 in Danang, he encountered a land mine which caused his wrecker to flip over and burn. Cunningham suffered wounds and severe burns. He was transferred to the Great Lakes Naval Hospital in Great Lakes, Illinois, in April or May of 1966. He died from complications to his wounds on August 24, 1966. He is buried in Arlington National Cemetery (Section 51, Plot 1540).
Lance Corporal Cunningham is not listed on the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall, because the memorial does not recognize soldiers who died stateside. Efforts to get Cunningham included on the Wall are being made by fellow veterans and their families, including Mike Fishbaugh and Elaine Brock who provided this information.
- Rank: Lance Corporal
- Date of birth: 19 May 1944
- Date of death: 24 August 1966
- County: Blount
- Service Branch: Marine Corps
- Conflict: Vietnam
- Burial/Memorial Location: Arlington National Cemetery, Arlington, VA
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XXII, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Gerald E. Cunningham