Corporal Copas was a member of Company I, 3rd Battalion, 5th Infantry Regimental Combat Team. He was killed in action while fighting the enemy at CT 997-396 in North Korea. Cpl Copas entered the service july 22, 1952. He completed his basic training at Fort Knox, and had served in Korea since December.
He is survived by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Copas of 211 Highview Avenue; one brother, C.A. Copas and five sister, Kathry, Betty, Joyce, Ruth and Mrs. Marie Fletcher, all of Kingsport.
- Rank: Corporal
- Date of birth: 14 November 1928
- Date of death: 18 July 1953
- County: Sullivan
- Hometown: Kingsport
- Service Branch: Army
- Division/Assignment: 5th Infantry Regimental Combat Team
- Conflict: Korean War
- Awards: Purple Heart, Combat Infantrymans Badge, Korean Service Medal, United Nations Service Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Korean Presidential Unit Citation, and Republic of Korea War Service Medal
- Burial/Memorial Location: Pyles Cemetery, Kingsport, Sullivan County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XXI, Bottom Panel
- Contact us to sponsor George W. Copas
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.