George William Chapman
On 3 October 1941 he was received on from NAS Pearl Harbor, T.H. on the U.S.S. Arizona Aviaton Unit (VO-1). He was transferred to the U.S.S. Enterprise on 24 November 1941. On 16 January 1942 he was transferred to Torpedo Squadron Six for duty. On 2 February 1943 he was a passenger on the U.S.S. Copahee (ACV-12) and sailed for sea. From the Copahee he was transferred to ComFair West Coast for assignment on 25 February 1943.
Lost at Sea
South Harriman High School, class of 1939; was killed 8 June 1945 in the Pacific Theater. Shortly before he was killed, he told his Aunt JoBell Wester Farmer that one day he would fly over and buzz her house.
Father: Mr. Robert William Chapman, Harriman, TN.
Headstone at Delozier Cemetery, Emory Gap, Roane, TN
- Rank: Aviation Chief Ordnanceman
- Date of birth: 24 August 1920
- Date of death: 8 June 1945
- County: Roane
- Hometown: Harriman
- Service Branch: Navy
- Theater: Pacific
- Conflict: World War II
- Burial/Memorial Location: Honolulu Memorial, Honolulu, Hawaii
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XVII, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor George W. Chapman
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.