George Mack Ledbetter was the son of Charles Alvin Ledbetter. He served on the U.S.S. Morrison (DD-560) and went missing after the USS Morrison was sunk on 4 May 1945. He was officially declared dead on 5 May 1946 and is memorialized at the Honolulu Memorial, Honolulu, Hawaii.
The USS Morrison was sunk off Okinawa in battle in an early morning slugfest with swarms of Japanese planes.
After fighting off an hour long air attack with the aid of American combat air patrol planes, a group of persistent Japanese planes finally broke thru and registered several hits that sent the Morrison to the bottom. Survivors floated around in the water for two hours until picked up by a landing craft support vessel.
- Rank: Seaman Second Class
- Date of death: 4 May 1945
- County: Greene
- Service Branch: Navy
- Division/Assignment: USS Morrison (DD-560)
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Honolulu Memorial, Honolulu, Hawaii
- Location In Memorial: Pillar IX, Bottom Panel
- Contact us to sponsor George M. Ledbetter
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.