George Levison Mowry was born in Knoxville, Tennessee.
Pvt Mowry entered the service of the U.S. Army in October 1917. As a member of Battery D, 5th U.S. Field Artillery, received his military training at Fort Oglethorpe, GA. Sailed for overseas duty in January 1918, and as a member of the American Expeditionary Force took part in all engagements of his command. Killed accidentally on May 4, 1919, as a result of a pistol shot by an M.P. He was only 22.
Pvt Mowry was initially buried at Dernbach, Germany. He is buried at Knoxville National Cemetery, 3628, C15.
- Rank: Wagoner
- Date of birth: 18 May 1896
- Date of death: 4 May 1919
- County: Knox
- Hometown: Knoxville
- Service Branch: Army
- Division/Assignment: Battery D, 5th Field Artillery
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War I
- Burial/Memorial Location: Knoxville National Cemetery, Knoxville, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar IV, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor George L. Mowry
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.