Private First Class George Koons, from Chilhowee, Tennessee, was born in 1923. He was the son of Amanda Koons and the brother of Lenna Koons, Albert Koons, Gabe Koons, and Lonnie Koons. He enlisted in the military on January 9, 1943, in Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia. He served in the European Theater of the war in the 137th Infantry Regiment, 35th Infantry Division. He was killed in action on Saturday, July 15, 1944. He was initially buried at La Cambe Cemetery at Isigny, France and re-buried at the Normandy American Cemetery in Colleville-sur-Mer, France (Plot H, Row 8, Grave 29).
Photo courtesy; Fran Rogers
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of death: 15 July 1944
- County: Blount
- Hometown: Chilhowee
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 137th Infantry Regiment, 35th Infantry Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Battles: Normandy Campaign
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Normandy American Cemetery, Colleville-sur-Mer, France
- Location In Memorial: Pillar VI, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor George Koons
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.