George Hargrove Matthews was born in Selma, Alabama to William Matthews and Rachel F. Shepherd. He was married to Beatrice and father of George Hargrove Matthews Jr.
Private First Class Matthews was a veteran of World War II. In Korea, he was a member of Service Battery, 58th Field Artillery, 3rd Infantry Division. On April 22, 1951, he was in a jeep accident near Uijong-bu, North Korea and died.
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of birth: 2 July 1915
- Date of death: 22 April 1951
- County: Hamilton
- Hometown: Chattanooga
- Service Branch: Army
- Division/Assignment: 58th Field Artillery, 3rd Infantry Division
- Conflict: Korean War
- Awards: Korean Service Medal, United Nations Service Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Republic of Korea War Service Medal, and World War II Victory Medal
- Burial/Memorial Location: Chattanooga National Cemetery, Chattanooga, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XX, Bottom Panel
- Contact us to sponsor George H. Matthews
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.