George Frederick Barry was born 7 July 1920 to Wallace Capps Barry and Nellie B. Crosswhite.
He died 7 September 1944
Buried at Mountain View Cemetery, Mountain View, TN
142nd Infantry Regiment, 36th Infantry Division, Company B
The Johnson County, News, May ,26, 1949
Word has reached here that the body of S/Sgt George Barry, son of the late Wallace Barry and grandson of the late E.E. Barry, former editor of the News, who was killed in action in the Anzio beachhead operation in Italy at the start of the European invasion during World War II, will arrive in Bristol at 10:00 a.m. Thursday, March 25, from where it will be taken to the Hathaway Funeral Home in Elizabethton. On Sunday afternoon, May 29, the casket will be brought to Mountain City Christian Church. They body will lie in state hour before the services. Burial will be made in Mountain View cemetery immediately following this service, with the American Legion giving full military honors.
- Rank: Staff Sergeant
- Date of birth: 7 July 1920
- Date of death: 7 September 1944
- County: Johnson
- Hometown: Elizabethton
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 142nd Infantry Regiment, 36th Infantry Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Mountain View Cemetery, Mountain View, Johnson County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar VIII, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor George F. Barry
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.