George Edward West was born 21 March 1899 to Edward Axson West and Gypsy Lee Thayer. He was the brother of Thomas “Tom” Robert West.
George West enlisted April 12, 1917, Company E, 16th Infantry, First Division. He was killed at Soissons, France, 19 July 1918. He is buried at Oliver Springs Cemetery, Kelley Town, Roane County, Tennessee.
Oliver Springs brothers George and Thomas West enlisted in 1917 and died within two months of each other. Thomas West was 17 when killed in action in May 1918 ,and George was 18 when he died in combat that July.
The picture is from the Chattanooga Sunday Times Memorial Supplement, May 25, 1919.
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of birth: 21 March 1899
- Date of death: 19 July 1918
- County: Roane
- Hometown: Oliver Springs
- Service Branch: Army
- Division/Assignment: Company E, 16th Infantry Regiment, 1st Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War I
- Battles: Soissons
- Burial/Memorial Location: Oliver Springs Cemetery, Kelley Town, Roane County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar V, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor George E. West
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.