George Alan Cannon was born on 8 September 1918 in Knox County, Tennessee, the son of George Franklin Cannon and Mary Jane Arms (in photo with him). He had two brothers, Gettys Cannon and Cpl. Carl Cannon and two sisters, Viola Cannon and Myrtle Cannon.
He was Killed in Action 10 July 1944, France. He had been in the service three years and overseas six months.
George A. Cannon died in Cherbourg, France after the D-Day invasion in June 1944. He was in the 22nd Infantry Regiment, 4th Infantry Division, 3rd Battalion, Company K.
- Rank: Technician Fifth Class
- Date of birth: 8 September 1918
- Date of death: 10 July 1944
- County: Jefferson
- Hometown: Strawberry Plains
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 22nd Infantry Regiment, 4th Infantry Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Battles: Normandy Campaign
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Caledonia Cemetery, Knoxville, Knox County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XII, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor George A. Cannon
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.