Next of Kin: Thomas A Bates, Rt 4. Knoxville
Private Fred B. Bates was killed in action in France.
He was buried July 23, 1948, in the U.S. National Cemetery, Knoxville.
Private Fred B. Bates was the son of Thomas Alfred Bates and Nannie Elizabeth Dellinger. He was the brother of Lucile Bates, Roy J. Bates, Earl Henry Bates, Rosa L. Bates, Mildred P. Bates and Shirley Jean Bates. He enlisted in the military on July 17, 1943 in Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia. He served in the 313th Infantry.
The Knoxville Journal, June 5, 1944
Pvt. Fred B. Bates and Seaman Second Class Roy J. Bates are sons of Mr. and Mrs. T.A. Bates. Fred B. has been in the service eight months. Roy has been in the Navy since January, and has just returned to West Coast.
- Rank: Private
- Date of birth: 9 February 1924
- Date of death: 24 June 1944
- County: Knox
- Hometown: Knoxville
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 313th Infantry
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Knoxville National Cemetery, Knoxville, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar VIII, Top Panel
- Sponsored by: Charles F. Brakebill
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.