Enlisted on July 29, 1944 in Fort Oglethorpe, GA
Killed during the fighting on Okinawa in 1945
Buried at Lynnhurst Cemetery, Knoxville, TN
The Knoxville News-Sentinel, July 27, 1945
The death of Pfc. Floyd Sharp Jr. on June 17 on Okinawa brings the Total of deaths in the Sharp family to three within a month. His father, former policeman H.F. (Jack) Sharp, died June 7, and his paternal grandfather died July 11. Pfc. Sharp, whose mother, Mrs. Janie H. Sharp, lives at 131 West New York Avenue, was a medical aidman with the 96th Infantry Division. He entered service July 28, 1944, and took basic training at Camp Wheeler, Ga., and Fr. Ord, Calif. His four months overseas duty included service in Hawaii and the Marianas. A former Rule High School student, he planed football there three years and basketball two years. He was a member of Lonsdale Baptist Church.
Surviving, besides his mother, are a sister, Mrs. Zelma Williams, and two brother, Robert and Franklin, all of Knoxville.
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of birth: 17 January 1926
- Date of death: 17 June 1945
- County: Knox
- Hometown: Knoxville
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 382th Infantry, 96th Division
- Theater: Pacific
- Conflict: World War II
- Battles: Okinawa
- Burial/Memorial Location: Lynnhurst Cemetery, Knoxville, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar VIII, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Floyd J. Sharp Jr.
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.