Floyd Howard Bolling
Born 22 Jan 1925, Jenkins, Letcher County, Kentucky
Died 28 Apr 1944
Entered the service May 7, 1943
Buried Pound, Wise County, Virginia
Parents Mr. and Mrs. William Farley Bolling, Rt 3 Kingsport Tennessee.
When last heard from by his parents, he was in the British Isles.
He and his ship, LST-531, were lost during the infamous Exercise TIGER pre-D-Day rehearsal exercise at Lyme Bay near Slapton Sands, Britain, when a squadron of German motor torpedo boats (“E-boats”) infiltrated the practice landing for forces intended to be put ashore on Utah Beach, and wreaked havoc.
- Rank: Seaman First Class
- Date of birth: 22 January 1925
- Date of death: 28 April 1944
- County: Sullivan
- Hometown: Kingsport
- Service Branch: Navy
- Division/Assignment: LST-531
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Burial/Memorial Location: Pound, Wise County, VA
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XVIII, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Floyd H. Bolling
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.