Aircraft B-24J with serial number 42-73222 was on a bombing mission to Rangoon, Burma. After about ten minutes after leaving the target area the ship was seen to explode in midair. The aircraft crashed 3 to 5 miles south of Chaungpyaw, which is a small village in the Bassein district of southern Burma.
Memorialized at the Manila American Cemetery, Philippines
Pilot, 2nd Lt Carl F. Carpenter
Co-Pilot, 2nd Lt William R. McCandless
Navigator, 1st Lt Grant W. Erwin Jr.
Bombardier, 2nd Lt Clarence A. Clyborne Jr.
Engineer, S/Sgt Robert McCarty
Radio Operator, S/Sgt William C. Fetterman
Assistant Engineer, Sgt Eugene L. Moyers
Assistant Radio Operator, Sgt Alfred L. Busby
Armorer/Gunner, Sgt Paul I. Elyea
Armorer/Gunner, Sgt Malcolm W. Carter
- Rank: Sergeant
- Date of death: 1 December 1943
- County: Hamblen
- Hometown: Morristown
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 9th Bomber Squadron, 7th Bomber Group, Heavy
- Theater: China Burma India
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Air Medal, Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Manila American Cemetery, Fort Bonifacio, Manila, Philippines
- Location In Memorial: Pillar X, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Eugene L. Moyers
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.