Ernest Franklin Bennett was killed in action aboard USS Indianapolis CA-35. After the ship delivered the atomic bomb to Tinian Island, it was hit by torpedoes from Japanese submarine I-58, 30 July 1945, in transit to return to the fleet.
Memorialized at the Manila American Cemetery, the Philippines
Wife: Mrs. Sarah Whitson Bennett, 1906 East 25th Street, Chattanooga.
- Rank: Boilermaker Third Class
- Date of death: 30 July 1945
- County: Hamilton
- Hometown: Chattanooga
- Service Branch: Navy
- Division/Assignment: USS Indianapolis (CA-35)
- Theater: Pacific
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Manila American Cemetery, Fort Bonifacio, Manila, Philippines
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XII, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Ernest F. Bennett
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.