Edwin Bruce Butcher was born September 10, 1920 in Union County, Tennessee. He was the son of Elmer Butcher and Lou Verna Perry Butcher.
Edwin enlisted in the US Army on October 6, 1942 at Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia and was assigned to the 358th Infantry Regiment, 90th Infantry Division. He was promoted to the rank of Private First Class.
Private First Class Butcher was killed in action on July 3, 1944 in Normandy, France. He is buried at Normandy American Cemetery in Colleville-sur-Mer, France.
He was awarded the Purple Heart with Oak Leaf Cluster.
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of birth: 10 September 1920
- Date of death: 3 July 1944
- County: Union
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 358th Infantry Regiment, 90th Infantry Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Battles: Normandy Campaign
- Awards: Purple Heart with Oak Leaf Cluster
- Burial/Memorial Location: Normandy American Cemetery, Colleville-sur-Mer, France
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XIX, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Edwin B. Butcher
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.