Earl Jessee Gilley
Born 20 June 1921, Clinchport, Scott County, Virginia
Died 6 November 1944
Technician Fifth Class
The Kingsport Times-News, 9 November 1947
Big Stone Gap vets body to be returned.
Big Stone Gap, Va. – The body of Technician Fifth Gade Earl J. Gilley, son of Mr. and Mrs. Talmage H. Gilley of Big Stone Gap who died in the European Theater of Operations during World War II, is scheduled to arrive here Monday and will be taken to the Gilley home.
Burial will be in Glencoe Cemetery, with members of Mouser-Willis Post No. 52, American Legion, in charge of military ceremonies at the grave.
Corporal Gilley is survived by his parents; three brothers, Doyle and Frank, Big Stone Gap and Carl B. Gilley, Gate City; and two sisters, Miss Lola Mae Gilley, Big Stone Gap, and Mrs. Lillian Bowen, Richmond, Va.
- Rank: Technician Fifth Class
- Date of birth: 20 June 1921
- Date of death: 6 November 1944
- County: Hawkins
- Hometown: Big Stone Gap
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Burial/Memorial Location: Glencoe Cemetery
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XII, Top Panel
- Sponsored by: James Thomson
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.