Don Earl Alley
MOS 0311 Rifleman
Length Service 00
Unit K Company, 3rd Battalion, 9th Marines, 3rd Marine Division, III MAF
Start Tour ——
Incident Date 5 September 1966
Casualty Date 5 September 1966
Age at Loss 19
Location Quang Nam Province, South Vietnam
Remains Body recovered
Casualty Type Hostile, died outright
Casualty Reason Ground casualty
Casualty Detail Other explosive device
5 September 1966 Wall Panel 10E Line 069
Kingsport Times News, 11 September 1966
A Church Hill soldier has been killed in battle in Viet Nam.
PFC Don E. Alley, 19, Rt 5, Church Hill, died in action during fighting last Monday in the vicinity of Da Nang, South Viet Nam. No further details of his death were revealed to the family here.
Alley was born in the state of Washington but had lived in Church hill for the past five years. He attended Church Hill High School and was employed by Kingsport Grocery Company before entering the Army in January of this year. He attended Ross Camp Ground Methodist Church.
Alley was transferred to Viet Nam only two months ago with the 3rd Marine Division.
Survivors include his widow, Mrs. Nancy Arnott Alley, Rt. 5, Church Hill; his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Earl Alley, Church Hill; two sister, Misses Sarah and Brenda Alley, both of Kingsport; one brother, Dan Alley, with the U.S. Army, Ft. Gordon, Ga.; and paternal grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. T.C. Alley, Church Hill.
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of birth: 18 September 1946
- Date of death: 5 September 1966
- County: Hawkins
- Hometown: Church Hill, TN
- Service Branch: Marine Corps
- Division/Assignment: 9th Marines, 3rd Marine Division
- Conflict: Vietnam
- Burial/Memorial Location: Ross Campground Methodist Church Cemetery, Mount Carmel, Hawkins County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XXIII, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Don E. Alley
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.