Dewey Maxorell was born 2 January 1898, Troutdale, Grayson County, Virginia. Son of William Hannibal Jesse Franklin Johnson (1874 – 1969) and Mary Nelson Johnson (1878 – 1904). Brother of Lenora F. Owensby, Amie Johnson, Louis Vivian Johnson, Marie Johnson Ross, Imogene Johnson Sexton, Charles Hughes Johnson and Wilbur Harris Johnson.
Dewey M. Johnson enlisted in Company C, 117th Infantry, with which he went to Camp Sevier, SC, and trained. Arriving in France in May 1918, he participated in the fighting in Belgium and in the attack on the Hindenburg Line. Sergeant Johnson was killed in action in the attack on October 8, east of Nauroy.
Dewey M. Johnson was initially buried at the American Cemetery, Bony, Aisne, France. Burial at Knoxville National Cemetery, B-16, 3652.
- Rank: Sergeant
- Date of birth: 2 January 1898
- Date of death: 8 October 1918
- County: Knox
- Hometown: Knoxville
- Service Branch: Army
- Division/Assignment: Company C, 117th Infantry Regiment, 30th Infantry Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War I
- Battles: Hindenburg Line
- Burial/Memorial Location: Knoxville National Cemetery, Knoxville, Knox County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar IV, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Dewey M. Johnson
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.