David Lee Edney was killed in action in the Bein Hoa province of South Vietnam while serving with E CO, 3rd BN, 187th Infantry, 101st Airborne Division.
David Lee Edney “Toby” and my husband were the best of friends. They met in some of the schools they had to go through. Both were airborne “skysoldiers”. They were stationed at Ft. Bragg together and we would all come home for the weekends. Toby lived in Erwin, TN, and us in Harriman, TN. We stayed at the Edney’s, and Toby stayed with us in Harriman. Toby went over to Vietnam in Dec. 1967 with the 101st Airborne, and Jerry went in Feb. 1968 with the 173rd Airborne Birgade. Toby got KIA 13 March 1968 and Jerry was his escort home. Jerry left to go back to Vietnam 13 April and he got KIA 13 June 1968. I got pregnant with our son while Jerry was in and had him 24 Dec. 1968 and named him Jerry Lee after his daddy and Toby.
–Submitted by Judy Ferguson Scofield
- Rank: Specialist 4th Class
- Date of birth: 6 March 1948
- Date of death: 13 March 1968
- County: Unicoi
- Hometown: Erwin
- Service Branch: Army
- Division/Assignment: 187th Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division
- Conflict: Vietnam
- Awards: Purple Heart, National Defense Service Medal, Vietnam Campaign Medal, Vietnam Service Medal
- Burial/Memorial Location: Roselawn Memorial Park, Johnson City, Washington County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XXIV, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor David L. Edney
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.