Sergeant David E. Peters was assigned to the 547th Field Artillery Battalion, 155 mm guns. He died on 16 April 1945 and is interred at D,5,15 Netherlands American Cemetery, Margarten, Netherlands.
His battery commander, Capt Philip L. Moore recalled wath happened: Sgt Mc Peters was returning from an ammunition supply dump with a full load of ammunition. He was driving the vehicle, as his men were very tired and he wanted them to rest. During the darkness, on the early morning of April 16th, at approximately 1:15 AM, Sgt McPeters ran off a bridge, which had been destroyed by the enemy, near Recklinghausen, Germany. He was killed instantly.”
- Rank: Sergeant
- Date of birth: 7 October 1921
- Date of death: 16 April 1945
- County: Morgan
- Hometown: Wartburg
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 547th Field Artillery Battalion
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart, Bronze Star
- Burial/Memorial Location: Netherlands American Cemetery, Margraten, Netherlands
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XVI, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor David E. McPeters
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.